Golden Valley High School offers a Silver Cord Award for students who participate in Community Service Activities and have completed at least 250 hours of Community Service Volunteer hours. The Silver Cord Award is awarded at Graduation.
- 250 Hours of Service = Silver Cord Recognition at Graduation Ceremony
Community Service Requirements
Service must be rendered with a non-profit organization. If you are unsure if your planned activity meets the criteria for community service, you are encouraged to come to the Guidance desk for pre-approval before beginning your service hours.
1. Community service must be for a non-profit organization, agency, or institution.
*If your site is NOT non-profit your hours will not count-please make sure the site is non-profit and is not based out of a private residence.
2. You may not count work performed as part of your efforts to raise funds for or to assist your club or club event unless those funds are given directly to a charity or community agency.
3. Participation in performances, festivals or competitions does not count as volunteer service unless:
*The performance meets an identified community service need, and there is no admission charge or donation accepted for the performance, and student participation is of a voluntary nature, and the performance does not promote the sponsoring organization, and neither the student organization nor the sponsoring organization receives any form of payment for the performance.
4. Service performed as a result of disciplinary action cannot be counted.
5. Attending meetings as part of a membership requirement cannot be counted.
6. Volunteer work done to promote a particular religious, political politician or political point of view cannot be counted as volunteer hours.
7. Students may perform service during the summer, school year, weekends, nights, vacation, etc.
8. You may not work as a TA or OA (teacher/office assistant) during the school day and receive community service credit.
9. Volunteering in family businesses or profit-making organizations cannot be counted.
**Some popular sites include but not limited to**
Schools, churches, hospitals, Boys & Girls Club, Merced Animal Control, Red Cross, Mercy Medical Center, Merced City Parks & Recs and homes for the elderly.
Doctor offices, professional offices, veterinarian offices, profit daycares, grocery stores, restaurants, shopping malls, babysitting, etc.
Deadlines for 2021 -2022
June - August hours due Sept. 3rd
Sept. hours – due Oct 5th
Oct. hours- due Nov 2nd
Nov. hours- due Dec 3rd
Dec. hours- due Jan 4th
Jan. hours – due Feb 4th
Feb. hours- due March 4th
March hours- due April 1st
April hours- due May 3rd
May hours- due June 3rd
Summer hours (June, July, August) due Sept 2nd
Attention Seniors! Deadline for submitting April/May hours is May 6th, 2022
How to turn in your hours?
* Join the "Community Service Google Classroom"
* Complete the Google Form
* Take a picture of your completed community service log (be sure to have required signatures and contact #s)
* Upload the picture of your community service log to the bottom of the Google form and submit.
Feel free to email Mrs. Mary or Ms. Vivian if you have any questions.
*Social Distancing Guidelines are Still in Effect*
Please continue to follow the CDC and California Department of Health recommendations on how to stay safe and healthy.
Community Service Google Classroom Code:
Please remember to submit Monthly logs on time as there will be no Late Submissions accepted. The “Community Service Form” on Google Classroom will remain open until a deadline is verified and announced.
Below is the Community Service Monthly log.